The Public Inquiry into the Earthquake Commission does not have a mandate to address unresolved claims with the Earthquake Commission. If you are seeking support and advice as it relates to your claim, the following options may be useful to you:

Canterbury Earthquakes Insurance Tribunal

The Canterbury Earthquakes Insurance Tribunal was formally launched in June 2019 to help "resolve Canterbury earthquake insurance disputes in a fair, speedy, flexible and cost-effective way".

The Tribunal will only consider residential insurance claims relating to the Canterbury earthquakes of 2010 to 31 December 2011. The Tribunal will be able to consider liability for earthquake damage that occurred after 2011 providing at least some of the damage in a claim occurred in 2010/11.

If you have an unresolved claim with an insurer (including EQC), you can learn more and apply here(external link).

The Greater Christchurch Claims Resolution Service (GCCRS)

The following provided by the GCCRS: The Greater Christchurch Claims Resolution Service (GCCRS) can support you with a free to access, impartial pathway to settle your unresolved residential earthquake claim.

GCCRS does more than provide advice; it coordinates the resolution of your claim. You will have one point of contact – a settlement support broker – who will work with you to ensure you’re accessing the right agency, resources and support mechanisms to settle your claim.

Your settlement support broker works with you, and is independent of insurers and EQC. That means they can have those difficult conversations on your behalf, and work with the agencies involved in your claim to put you on the right path.

When you register with GCCRS, the latest technical reports and advice held by EQC and/or Southern Response will be loaded on our online homeowner claim portal, along with the contact details of who is handling your claim in each agency. You can see the status of your claim, who is doing what and when it is happening, whenever you want to check your claim’s progress.

GCCRS will give you access to specialist services panels such as legal facilitation and determination services, and engineering assessments. We can also provide connections to wellbeing and psychosocial support where required.

Get more information at link). Alternatively, you can phone GCCRS on 0508 624 327, or visit the GCCRS office at 161 Cashel Street in Christchurch.


(external link)


Residential Advisory Service (RAS)

If you are outside of Greater Christchurch and need support with your claim, an option may be the Residential Advisory Service. Find out more here(external link)


Information on buying a house after a natural disaster link)


Policy for owners of on-sold, over-cap properties

On 15 August 2019, the Government announced a new policy that will allow EQC to make ex gratia payments to the owners of Canterbury properties sold since the September 2010 earthquake, which have missed or unscoped damage taking them over the EQC cap.

Find out more, and check if you may be eligible for one of these payments, here(external link).  

Last modified: